Vice Chancellor, UHMThe University of Hawai‘i at Manoa seeks nominations for, and expressions of interest in, the position of Vice Chancellor for Research.
The Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR) has leadership responsibility for planning, directing, initiating, developing, facilitating, assessing and coordinating UHM’s research programs and policies. The VCR reports to the UHM Chancellor, serves as the chief operating officer and advocate for UHM research programs and is a member of the Chancellor’s executive leadership team. This position encourages and supports research activities beyond individual scholarly activity, promotes research excellence and best practices, and is responsible for continued development of the campus research infrastructure. The VCR has direct reports from the Organized Research Units (ORUs), the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST), the Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHSO), and the Office of Research Compliance (ORC).
QualificationsThe successful candidate will demonstrate or possess the following minimum qualifications:
• An earned doctorate or equivalent terminal degree from an accredited university
• Rank of full professor or demonstrated record of comparable professional experience prior to appointment
• Record of progressively responsible and senior professional leadership experience
• Record of strong research, scholarship, publication, and professional activity and achievement
• Knowledge of research programs and policies
• Commitment to diversity and equity and in working with multi-cultural populations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a broad range of internal and external constituents
• Ability to form alliances in support of research; demonstrated ability to bring groups together and establish effective and meaningful partnerships
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with internal and external constituencies.