Dean Of The Swenson College Of Science And Engineering he Dean of SCSE will have the unique opportunity to lead the college with multidisciplinary units, diverse faculty, staff, and students in a variety of collaborating opportunities with a wealth of regional industry. The Dean is responsible for academic leadership of the College including the administration of ongoing academic, research and public outreach programs; budgetary and personnel management; program development and assessment; promotion and maintenance of productive relations with UMD administrators as well as UM administrative units, external advisory boards, and local and regional communities; development of fund-raising strategies, and leadership in creating an inclusive campus environment for students, faculty and staff. The Dean reports directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs on the Duluth campus.
* an earned doctorate from a regionally accredited university in a field within the Swenson College of Science and Engineering or closely related field.
* a minimum of three years of administrative experience as a department head or equivalent
* a record of teaching, research, and service that meets the qualifications necessary to be tenured at the rank of Professor in one of the departments within the College.
* a record of administrative leadership and personnel and budgetary management
* effective written communication skills
* a record of developing external relations with public and private sectors
* a record of development and fund raising
* a record of commitment to enhancing and maintaining diversity
* a minimum of three years of academic administrative experience above the level of department head
* a record of supportive advocacy, and creative, consultative leadership
* a record of administrative support of creative learning, teaching, advising, research, and service
* a record of promoting and increasing diversity
* demonstrated leadership in curriculum and program development
* demonstrated record of effective problem solving
* a record of working effectively with a unionized faculty and staff
* excellent oral communication skills
Apply for this Position
Applicants must apply online via the employment system at: employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=112739 A complete application must be submitted online and include (1) a letter of application expressing interest, availability, experience and strengths as they relate to the position description and qualifications; (2) a current curriculum vita; (3) a statement of administrative philosophy (Additional Document 1); (4) a personal statement detailing the applicant's affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity accomplishments and philosophy (Additional Document 2) and (5) the name, address, phone number and email address of four references. References will be contacted for finalists whose credentials and accomplishments match well with the mission and needs of SCSE and the UMD Strategic Plan. Applicants will be notified prior to contacting references.
The successful applicant must submit an official transcript of highest degree received and will be subject to a background check. The salary is competitive and commensurate with credentials and experience.