Associate Vice President, Managed Care ContractingThe Associate Vice President – Managed Care Contracting will be responsible for directing and coordinating managed care contracting activities at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) with the dual goals of optimizing VUMC’s strategic market position and maximizing financial benefit to VUMC.
The Associate Vice President – Managed Care Contracting will be a key player in the start-up of a new leadership team that will work closely with VUMC executive and operational leadership and the Vanderbilt Health Affiliate Network (VHAN) leadership in order to determine the appropriate positioning for VUMC in relation to all payer activities.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of ten years progressively responsible experience in healthcare, delivery systems, or managed care, with at least five years of experience in a senior role, ideally with an organization with substantial experience with managed care relationships.
QualificationsEducation: Work requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business or a related field. Master’s degree in Business or Health Administration, Public Health or Juris Doctor (JD) strongly preferred.
Experience: 8 years of contacting/managed care experience with 3 – 5 years of health system or payer experience at the Director level or above.
Leadership and Staff Management Experience: Holds direct reports and division employees accountable for meeting or exceeding quality standards and goals, continues improvement toward excellence in contracting and negotiation as well as balancing high patient satisfaction scores in areas impacted by the department.
· Ability to interpret complex contracts, state and federal regulations and apply them to negotiations and operational problem solving with minimal guidance
· Must demonstrate comprehensive understanding of complex financial arrangements and quality programs across health care products
· Exceptional financial, analytical and problem solving skills, and understanding of legal documents
· Ability to compile data, analyze data, and make decisions that support department and VUMC objectives. Drives decision making process by performing detailed cost / benefit analysis, presenting and evaluating solution options, and driving consensus among key stakeholders
· Ability to be a self-starter who is intellectually curious, excited about "creating" in a fast-paced environment
· Superior communication skills; expert at translating and communicating complex financial information to varying audiences
· Ability to work in a highly-matrixed environment; receive direction from and build consensus with multiple sources
· Strong emotional intelligence - balance of wisdom and judgment with an ability to work independently with little direction
· Demonstrated skill in navigating successfully through ambiguity and frequent change – agile and flexible as a leader, peer, coach and team member